Lincoln Maniacs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Local Pictures
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am by herostime

» life yet
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm by mary

» Hi (again)
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm by mary

» Am I alone and wasting my time?
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm by mary

» DontDumpThat
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am by arkley

» help please
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm by mary

» new goals for the year anyone
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 am by mary

» happy new year
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm by mary

» wonder if this site
City traders want pedlars to keep moving on EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm by mary

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 83 registered users
The newest registered user is karorl

Our users have posted a total of 4896 messages in 835 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

City traders want pedlars to keep moving on

4 posters

Go down

City traders want pedlars to keep moving on Empty City traders want pedlars to keep moving on

Post by combom Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:17 am

Traders say pedlars selling cheap hats and scarves in Lincoln's High Street are unfair competition.

Shopkeepers say it is not right that they fork out thousands of pounds a year in rent and rates but pedlars can set up for the £12.25 cost of a pedlar certificate.

The Echo spoke to three pedlars – two from Russia and one from Israel – in the High Street who produced certificates issued by North Yorkshire Police.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/City-traders-want-pedlars-moving/article-466718-detail/article.html

But isnt this shops saying they dont want fair competition?
combom
combom

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

City traders want pedlars to keep moving on Empty Re: City traders want pedlars to keep moving on

Post by mary Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:11 pm

i agree why shouldn't we beable to shop where we want, after all no one is stopping them from doing that,and everyone as to start somewhere

mary

Back to top Go down

City traders want pedlars to keep moving on Empty Re: City traders want pedlars to keep moving on

Post by combom Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm

although i start at a car boot sale, and never get to shops i consider to expensive!
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:36 pm

may be they should lower their prices then they will get more customers

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 pm

vicious circle though, they charge a lot cos they pay large rents, rates, power bills, wages etc.
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by coley1 Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

How are certificates issued by North Yorkshire Police valid in Lincoln? Surely these sort of licences just as the shop and pub licences be determined and authorised by local authorities (meaning local to the are in question.)

Can developers start asking North Yorkshire Councils for planning permission in Lincoln?

I have to say though that over recent years it seems that there are more and more people in the high street selling, handing out leaflets, hassling you to sign up for charity DDs, surveying, busking, begging etc. Soon be nowhere for pedestrians to walk.

AC
coley1
coley1

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:15 pm

the trouble is pedlars can go anywhere once they have there licence.
i reakon the licences should be for the town you live in only , and i can understand with the rates etc they have to pay , earlier this year i looked into having a stall on market but the prices are over the top,the council should have reduced shop/stall rates for people who live in lincoln, and higher rates etc for outsiders.

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:20 pm

although i dont think ive ever bought anything off them, the high street is far to full of ppl asking you to sign up for things, buy things, donate to therm etc. whatever happened to walking down a street and just looking at things?
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by coley1 Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm

In the good old days you had to keep your eyes open to avoid bumping into other shoppers.

These days I weave along side to side to avoid the clipboards.

AC
coley1
coley1

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:24 pm

i glare at them if they try to come to me and say no very loudly.they should not be allowed to approach people, if people want to know whats going on they will go to them.my hubby gets asked each week to sign up for a charity on his way home from work and when he says no some of them get quite rude, what they don't know is we already donate to some charities.

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanyalasagne Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

This has always been my gripe I raise hundreds each year for particular charities and do voluntary work for Girlguiding UK then you get glared at for not signing up for another monthly DD for a charity. It annoys me as I work in town and am constantly bombarded. I just say No thankyou very forcefully. I dont think they should put such pressure on people especially old people.

Tanyalasagne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down