Lincoln Maniacs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Local Pictures
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am by herostime

» life yet
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm by mary

» Hi (again)
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm by mary

» Am I alone and wasting my time?
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm by mary

» DontDumpThat
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am by arkley

» help please
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm by mary

» new goals for the year anyone
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 am by mary

» happy new year
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm by mary

» wonder if this site
Fears for allotments after land deal EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm by mary

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 83 registered users
The newest registered user is karorl

Our users have posted a total of 4896 messages in 835 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Fears for allotments after land deal

+2
omega2618
combom
6 posters

Go down

Fears for allotments after land deal Empty Fears for allotments after land deal

Post by combom Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:56 pm

A mystery bidder has bought up a patch of land used for allotments in Lincoln – casting uncertainty on their future.

The 3.53 acre site on South Common to the east of Cross O'Cliff Hill was put up for sale as part of a Government sell-off of former British Railways land.

It fetched just £19,000 at auction at Manchester United's home stadium, Old Trafford, last Thursday.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Fears-allotments-land-deal/article-736043-detail/article.html
combom
combom

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Fears for allotments after land deal Empty Re: Fears for allotments after land deal

Post by omega2618 Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 am

Its a case of use it or lose it.
I don't know why the auction was held at this particular football ground.Was it to attract investment from footballers?They must have a lot of disposable income.
I feel that the current state of affairs with respect to job losses and the general economic climate may see an upsurge in the use of allotments and therefore far more should have been done to secure this land for the use of the general public.
Its a loss that won't easily be replaced.

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Fears for allotments after land deal Empty Re: Fears for allotments after land deal

Post by combom Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:53 am

omega2618 wrote:Its a case of use it or lose it.
I don't know why the auction was held at this particular football ground...

i suspect they wanted it far from lincoln, so allotment users didnt buy it!
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by Seahorse Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:32 pm

It's not my site but as far as I know it's well used. Definitely has a waiting list. I'm curious as to who bought the land and why. Seems unlikely that planning permission would be granted for homes or a buisness development and it would take decades to get £19K back in lottie rents. I agree with omega that this really isn't a time to be letting allotment land go! Healthy exercise and cheap, high quality food - whats not to love?!
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:40 pm

and atm the govt. are trying to get more ppl to grow veg, and use allotments!
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

I was interested to see where the term allotments came from and found a brief but interesting article here:-
http://www.allotment.org.uk/articles/Allotment-History.php

The recommendation in 1950 was for 4 acres per 1000 head of population.I wonder what the figures are for Lincoln at the present time?

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by Seahorse Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm quite suprised that the article suggests there are less than 300,000 allotments in Britain! That really isn't many for a population of over 60 million!

Mind you, I'm all for throwing my spade and fork over my shoulder and declaring The People's Republic of the South Common Wink Very Happy
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by arkley Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 pm

" From the men of property, the orders came,
they sent the hired men and troopers to wipe out the Diggers claim.
Tear down their cottages, destroy their corn,
" we come in peace", the orders came to cut them down.

You poor take courage, you rich take care,
the earth was made a common treasury for everyone to share,
all things in common, all people one,
they were dispersed, only the vision lingers on.

arkley

Back to top Go down

Post by Seahorse Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 pm

I shall see you on the barricades Arkley, 9am sharp! Wink Very Happy
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by arkley Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm here with my thermos of Bovril and a copy of Das Kapital but there's no sign of you.

arkley

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 pm

but the burning cross you have made to demonstrate your dissatisfaction and that you are "burning cross with them" seems to be getting misinterpreted!
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by coley1 Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:27 pm

combom wrote:and atm the govt. are trying to get more ppl to grow veg, and use allotments!

Quite the reverse me thinks Wink They want us to spend our money in the shops. It wasn't the Government's/Council's choice anyway. they can't stop BR selling the land although they can veto any planning applications on it.

My Dad used to have an allotment down Boultham Park Road which he enjoyed but gave up when he moved into a house with a bigger garde. Fortunately my house has a nice big garden too and am currently digging the final 18ft ready to plant Smile

AC
coley1
coley1

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 pm

When you've finished yours you can start on mine! Very Happy

There is a movement gathering pace down south whereby the chores of running an allotment are shared in return for a share of the spoils.

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by lekishia Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:49 pm

i'd love to have a allotment to work on, but there seems to get less and less, and more and more houses Sad
lekishia
lekishia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seahorse Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Arkley, I was the one in the Che Guevara t-shirt building a tree house whilst belting out Billy Bragg's greatest hits. I can't believe you didn't notice me! Tsk Rolling Eyes
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by arkley Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Seahorse, i had this pre-conception based upon your avatar and i neglected to acknowledge the bearded, denim - clad and cropped haired protester struggling with some discarded pallets half - way up a lofty Elm.
Be unceasing in your struggle.
Leon.

arkley

Back to top Go down

Post by Seahorse Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 am

Hmm, maybe I should lose the beard. It's taken me ages to get the full Karl Marx effect though...
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down