Lincoln Maniacs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Local Pictures
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am by herostime

» life yet
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm by mary

» Hi (again)
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm by mary

» Am I alone and wasting my time?
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm by mary

» DontDumpThat
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am by arkley

» help please
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm by mary

» new goals for the year anyone
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 am by mary

» happy new year
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm by mary

» wonder if this site
Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm by mary

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 83 registered users
The newest registered user is karorl

Our users have posted a total of 4896 messages in 835 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans

4 posters

Go down

Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans Empty Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans

Post by combom Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:26 am

A new plague which jumps from rats to humans has been discovered by scientists.

Fears are growing that increasing numbers of brown rats - the most common kind in Europe - are carrying a strain of bacteria that can cause serious illness in humans from heart disease to infection of the spleen and nervous system.

The new strain of bacteria called Bartonella rochalimae is spread between rats by fleas, Taiwanese researchers have said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1088887/Scientists-discover-21st-century-black-plague-spreads-rats-humans.html
combom
combom

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans Empty Re: Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans

Post by omega2618 Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:32 pm

This story makes interesting reading for myself.I have long been interested in the plague village of Eyam in Derbyshire.I have a strange affinity for the place and when I first visited there had a strong feeling of deja vu.
I have been back many times and in particular to visit the Riley Graves set high above Hope Valley.The graves,a National Trust site,mark the final resting place of John Hancock and his 6 children.They were all buried by Elizabeth Hancock,wife and mother.They all died within a week of each other from the plague and to prevent infecting anyone else she undertook this arduous task herself.I cannot even begin to understand what this woman went through to undertake this tragic task.She survived and went on to live in Sheffield.

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans Empty Re: Scientists discover 21st century black plague that spreads from rats to humans

Post by combom Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 pm

makes me think of the 1970s tv series survivors, its just been remade and is on BBC1 tonight Smile
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by Seahorse Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Two very distinct reactions here!

Omega - I have heard the story of Elizabeth Hancock before. Just unthinkable really. However much we may moan about the Credit Crunch and the trials and tribulations of modern day living... well, we can have no idea of what that woman (and so many others) went through. I haven't been to Eyam but I did get that 'funny feeling' when visiting the abandoned village at Wharram Percy in Yorkshire. Not sure if 'you'd enjoy it' is right (!) but this is an amazing (fictional) book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doomsday-Book-Connie-Willis/dp/0553562738/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227646396&sr=1-2

However!!! As for the Daily Mail and their scaremongering Evil or Very Mad There are all sorts of 'plagues' that may or may not be rat borne. Most of them have been around for centuries and are nothing that washing your hands and ensuring your home is rodent free won't sort out!!!
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:12 am

i heard a plague of spoons was on its way, and its going to start raining badgers
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:19 pm

good one combom,had a coughing fit laughed too much

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Smile
combom
combom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down