Lincoln Maniacs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Local Pictures
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am by herostime

» life yet
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm by mary

» Hi (again)
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm by mary

» Am I alone and wasting my time?
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm by mary

» DontDumpThat
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am by arkley

» help please
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm by mary

» new goals for the year anyone
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 am by mary

» happy new year
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm by mary

» wonder if this site
'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm by mary

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 83 registered users
The newest registered user is karorl

Our users have posted a total of 4896 messages in 835 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members!

4 posters

Go down

'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! Empty 'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members!

Post by omega2618 Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 am

I could quite easily used as the subject,'There was an old lady who lived in a ....tree'.
This is a true,very well documented story that I found whilst planning a walk in Derbyshire at the back end of January this year.
It concerns a lady,Betty Kenyon and her husband Luke who lived in an ancient (2000 year old) Yew tree in the 1700's.
(Regretfully,there is little remains of the tree because of a fire in the 1930's and more recent vandalism but I've included my photo here https://2img.net/h/i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo285/omega2618/BettyKennyWalk_20090124_000003.jpg
and a better picture here http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/617006 )

The remarkable thing is that the couple raised 8 children whilst living in the tree and it gave rise to one of our best known nursery rhymes.(Although the first part is a true story,the part about the nursery rhyme is folk lore.)Apparently,the tree had a hollowed out bough which was used to rock the children to sleep:-

Rock-a-bye baby in the tree top,
when the wind blows the cradle will rock,
when the bough breaks the cradle will fall,
and down will come baby cradle and all.

Such is the local fame surrounding this family that a walk that includes the tree has been named after Betty Kenyon and can be found in the Amber Valley.
The walk includes ancient deciduous woodland (SSSI),the Shining Cliff Woods, and great views across the Derwent Valley to Crich Stand and Crich Chase.
This walk has something for all the family at 6.8km and I've included a link at the end which gives the route and lots of other information.But be warned.Some of the route was difficult in places but only because of poor weather and the path does come very close to an old quarry edge.
http://www.ambervalley.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/36409964-6778-498C-8EE0-8925D0D7E227/0/291AmbergateWalkLeaflet.pdf

p.s. Health and Safety and Social Servces would have had a field day.

omega2618

Back to top Go down

'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! Empty Re: 'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members!

Post by mary Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:59 am

shhh don't tell them we would like to see it as well before they close it down for our own safety,sounds interesting thanks

mary

Back to top Go down

'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members! Empty Re: 'Rock-a-bye-baby'.A true story for our lady members!

Post by Seahorse Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm

What an interesting story! As a bit of a hippy chick myself, I can see the appeal of living in a tree... but maybe just in summer, must have got a bit parky in winter!
Seahorse
Seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post by arkley Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:42 am

Hi, are you sure it wasn't the old lady who lived in a yew?
Regards,
Arkley.

arkley

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Very Happy

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down